The Best Way to End the Day: 5 Things to Do Before You Go to Sleep
You know that moment between going to bed and falling asleep? Some watch movies, read a book, force their eyes to close, plan and worry about tomorrow, or think about the things they had to do today but didn’t manage to.
It’s a period of time that’s important for your personal development, whether you realize it or not. It’s as important as your morning routine. A day that has started well should also end well. The way to do it is pretty simple and the benefits are amazing.
Here are 5 things to do before you go to sleep in the evening that will help make your day meaningful and help you live stress-free and more happily:
- Let go. In order to be ready for the next day with all its opportunities, challenges and surprises, you’ll need to let go of what was today. Let go of all the things you did, didn’t do, forgot to do, and failed to do. Breathe deeply and let things be as they are now. Let go of all your disappointments, little arguments, people that annoyed you, doubts, negative thoughts, judgments and comparisons.
- Accept. Accept yourself for who you are, and things for the way they turned out to be. Understand that everything is perfect just the way it is and things are just fine. You don’t need to worry, plan, take control or fear. Realise that you did your best.
- Be optimistic. Look forward to tomorrow. But don’t plan it in detail so that you don’t fall into the trap of trying to control events too much. Just be sure that tomorrow is going to be amazing and new and exciting things are waiting for you.
- Be grateful. Thankful for this day. It’s a gift. Appreciate all the chances you had, the nice meals, the opportunity to be with your loved ones, to be in your comfortable place and do things you love. Not everyone has all this. Notice it and be grateful.
- Go to sleep in peace. Look around in the darkness. Breathe deeply a couple of times. Hear the silence, empty your mind and concentrate on your breathing. It’s a kind of a meditative state. Your body is at ease, you have no thoughts, needs or desires to distract you. You feel great right now. And nothing needs to change. This is the best way to end your day – no matter how bad or good it was.
There’s no better feeling than being able to leave behind all that burden each night and not carry it with you into the next day. It’s freedom. And wisdom. And happiness.