Healthy Lifestyle Tip: 5 Good Reasons Why You Should Work out with Your Friends
Sometimes, it can be pretty hard finishing a strenuous workout on your own. Training with a partner (both male or female), however, opens up a whole new range of possibilities for motivation. Your training partner can help you hang tough and achieve your goals, regardless of how far away they may seem at first. We would like to share with you five good reasons to exercise with your friends.
1. More motivation and no lame excuses It is a pleasant Saturday afternoon and you are lazing on the couch. Your favorite TV series is just coming on. Sounds like the perfect excuse to skip today’s training, right? Not if you are training with a partner, it doesn’t! Regular workout times with your friends help you to stick it out and finish your routine. The chances of you choosing your couch over your training session are much lower in this case.
2. It makes training more fun Many “training moments” aren’t really funny if you don’t have someone to laugh with. One way of increasing the fun factor is to come up with innovative ideas on how you can modify your exercises or make your runs together more interesting. For example, instead of just doing a plank challenge, try one with partner hand slaps. Or throw a ball back and forth while doing sit-ups. There are lots of ways you can shake up your training plan – but the craziest and funniest ideas will come to you when you brainstorm together with a friend.
3. You push each other When you feel close to giving up, a training partner can be all the more important because they can help you build up your motivation again. A sporting challenge among friends can help you to push each other and stretch your limits. Consider the following: In England, women were surveyed on their exercise behavior. The study found that 64% of women who train with their best friends were more likely to push their workouts to the limit than those who exercised on their own.
4. Sport brings people together Did you know that more than 40% of participants drop a fitness course shortly after it begins if they attend on their own? But if they work out with a friend, the dropout rate decreases to 6%. This suggests that one of the best reasons for exercising with friends is the social interaction. People who train together form a group identity and no longer feel alone.
5. Train together, stay together You should also consider training with your romantic partner. Studies have shown that couples who exercise together regularly are happier in their relationship. Working out together strengthens the relationship. A morning run, a gym date in the evening or a bike trip on the weekend is a great way to spend quality time together.
‘Share the Health’ ! Ask a Kennedy Club Fitness Membership Counselor for a complimentary BUDDY PASS for your local friends or family. It’s a WIN-WIN for them and YOU!